Friendly Zombie Cupcakes
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup vegan granulated sugar
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 cup cherry pie filling or “red” jam
1 recipe Vanilla Glaze (listed under frosting)
This is a variation on the “white cake” recipe under “weddings”. Here. When you eat these friendly zombies you will find a surprise inside–their fruity brains! Finally, a sweet revenge (zombies eat brains, if you didn’t know that).
1. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, and salt.
2. In another bowl, combine water, oil, vanilla, and vinegar. Combine wet and dry.
3. Prepare 12 cupcake liners in a pan. Fill each just under half full with the batter. Spoon into the middle about 2 teaspoons (a small spoonful or so) of the pie filling/jam. Cover with more cake batter until the liner is full, but not overflowing.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes; start checking after 15 to 20 minutes (my oven is a bit special and my cook times are always a little off). Once the tops are just brown and a toothpick comes out clean, remove from oven and let cool all the way.
5. Once cooled, make the “Vanilla Glaze” or use your own frosting recipe. Dust with powdered sugar if you want to give them a nice “dusty” face. Then decorate with chocolate chips, dried fruits, nuts, more coconut, or anything else that looks tasty.
Then you have a friendly zombie cupcake that you can eat the brains of!
While we do not condone revenge on the post-vital here at ZADL we do condone delicious flavor.